USA TODAY High School Sports has a weekly column on the college recruiting procedure. Here, y'all'll observe practical tips and real-earth advice on becoming a improve recruit to maximize your opportunities to play at the college level. Kyle Winters was a standout high school pitcher who tossed seven scoreless innings in a major tournament during his senior year. That operation confronting some heavy-hit future MLB draft picks helped Kyle earn a full-ride scholarship to the Academy of New Mexico. However, Kyle opted to play professional baseball and was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 5th round and played seven seasons for various small league teams. Kyle is just i of many onetime college and professional players, college coaches, and parents who are function of theNext Higher Student Athlete squad. Their knowledge, experience, and dedication along with NCSA's history of digital innovation, and long-continuing human relationship with the college coaching customs accept made NCSA the largest and virtually successful athletic recruiting network in the country.

What's the get-go matter that comes to heed when you call up about Division I schools? Packed stadiums, games on ESPN and of form, lots and lots of perks. Pretty glamourous, right?

The truth is that being a DI athlete requires a lot of difficult work—probably more than you realize. And even getting to that level is quite a challenge: with 347 schools across 49 dissimilar states, only .8 percent of high school-athletes proceed to compete at DI programs.

So, to assistance you go a clear perspective, we rounded up our team of quondam DI college-athletes and asked them about their feel. Encounter what they had to say:

  • Alison Vincent, Indiana University, track & field, Large 10 Freshman of the Year, NCAA & USATF National Qualifier
  • Ellen Brownish, University of Kentucky, soccer
  • Eric Vierneisel, Academy of California-Berkeley (Cal), basketball
  • Kelly Stuntz, University of Minnesota, volleyball, Commencement Team AVCA All-American, Kickoff Squad All-Region and ii-time All-Large Ten
  • Julian Beckwith, Miami Academy, basketball
  • Michael Dufek, University of Michigan, baseball
  • Kristin Heidloff, Georgetown Academy, basketball game, iii-year captain
  • Matt Leddy, Elon Academy, football
  • James Cooper, Eastern Illinois Academy, football, 2009 OVC Champion

Why did you decide to compete at the DI level?

Alison Vincent: I was looking at the education component primarily, and it was the all-time educational opportunity out of the schools recruiting me.

Eric Vierneisel: I wanted to compete confronting the best, and Division I basketball gave me that opportunity, as well every bit getting my education paid for with an athletic scholarship.

James Cooper: I wanted to play at the highest level of contest and saw I had the talent to do and so. Also, I knew past going to a bigger school and plan, I would accept the opportunity to network with more individuals from diverse backgrounds. Plus, I received a scholarship and it helped pay for school.

What were some misconceptions yous had going into DI sports?

Alison Vincent: Everyone is on a full ride scholarship—that is completely false.

Ellen Brown: As a omnibus, I've seen many student-athletes go in not realizing the workload, commitment, and amount of time you may have to wait to compete in a game. And as a thespian, I was told that coaches take "favorites." Simply really, a motorcoach'southward task depends on operation, so yous tin can bet they're putting the best players on the field. In the end, being stuck on the thought that a omnibus is "playing favorites" will just make it the way of your improvement.

Kristin Heidloff: The biggest misconception for me was that it's non as glamorous equally it seems. It'south not all private planes, seven different custom uniform combinations, or existence a celebrity on campus. The reality is: long motorcoach rides, uniforms like half the other teams in the country, and being known as an athlete because you're wearing sweats to class—again!

James Cooper: Offset misconception: playing at a DI schoolhouse meant I was going to get in to the NFL, or at least have a shot, because scouts only come to those type of programs. Being on Goggle box is another—we weren't a prominent programme that got substantial TV time. Too, I retrieve a lot of student-athletes recollect that attending a DI program ways y'all're going to a big schoolhouse, but some DI colleges are just equally minor as DIII and NAIA schools.

How did y'all find balance between your sport and schoolhouse?

Kelly Stuntz: My teammates and I were all very close. Nosotros enjoyed fourth dimension outside of volleyball and school together. Cooking meals together, game nights—we were a close-knit family. I too enjoyed volunteering for diverse organizations through our athletic department, such every bit reading to unproblematic school children.

Michael Dufek: The coaching staff and academic advisors really helped me find this balance. In fact, during my freshman year, I was required to nourish study table every weeknight for two hours.

Ellen Brown: I took minimum hours needed during the flavour, and then made information technology upwards during the summer, if needed.

Julian Beckwith: It'southward all nigh fourth dimension direction. You lot just have to be able to have discipline with your schedule and know when yous need to become things done. Information technology'due south difficult, but not impossible.

What were the benefits of playing at that level for you?

Eric Vierneisel: I was able to have advantage of state-of-the-art equipment, coaches, and nutrition to help me reach my potential. Plus, I had a world-class education paid for, and I was lucky enough to employ my experience of playing at the DI level to play professionally overseas.

Kelly Stuntz: Playing at this level takes so much cede, merely I wouldn't trade whatever of it. Who I am today was completely shaped by my higher years on the court and in the classroom. My motorcoach's guidance and wisdom has always had such a major impact on me, including how I've dealt with numerous decisions and arduousness in my life. The unabridged support of our volleyball department and school will always have a special place for me. And my teammates are one of the greatest gifts I still cherish to this day.

Kristin Heidloff: If you're an incredibly competitive person, in that location's no thrill similar competing confronting the best every single 24-hour interval. It's not just about the games. Every day at practice is a competition. Every person was All-Land in loftier school and a star, and at present suddenly everyone is competing for limited minutes. For someone with that intrinsic drive to be the best, playing DI is the ultimate exam.

Matt Leddy: I was able to compete against the best players in the country—athletes who are record holders and first circular draft picks. I pushed myself every single mean solar day just for a run a risk to compete at that level and see if I could pause my own personal limits.

What's something y'all'd like student-athletes to know about DI sports?

Julian Beckwith: You're not going to be able to exit every Friday and Sat night like the rest of the students, particularly if y'all're on a total scholarship. Yous might accept a very difficult time majoring in challenging majors similar pre-med, applied science, architecture, etc. On the flip side, though, y'all do have a built-in network of friends on the team and in the athletic section.

Michael Dufek: Your entire higher experience is basically scheduled for you, including classes, practice, games, meals, and force and conditioning. Yeah, I did take gratis time, just that was mainly on the weekends during the offseason. It was like I had a full-time job and worked overtime every week.

Matt Leddy: Remember that just because you're a DI student-athlete, you shouldn't expect things to exist easier for you compared to other students. If anything, the expectations are higher.

James Cooper: You're merely on scholarship for 1 year and that scholarship can be taken away if yous're non taking care of things on-and-off the field. Because your time is dedicated to your sport, you may observe information technology difficult to participate in internship opportunities like your peers. Besides, omnibus turnover is more than common than you lot recollect so it's possible you may not have the same coach over the grade of your college career.

READ More than: What NCAA Division is Right for You lot?